Saturday, February 11, 2012

Too Much moGNARchy

Wednesday, February 8th, the moGNARchy crew suffered yet another critical injury to one of its riders. For the second year in a row, I, Andy Moyle, have sustained a fracture serious enough to require surgical correction. It was stupid. I over-rotated a 3 a little bit on this tiny 15 footer and landed in the backseat, which caused me to put my hand out behind me. The pole I was holding pushed my thumb backwards and broke my first metacarpal right at the joint. At first I thought it was dislocated:




After (painfully) realizing that this wasn't some simple dislocation, I got it checked out by the doctor. They determined that simply throwing it in a cast wasn't going to fix anything. On Friday, February 10th, 1 year and 27 days after my collarbone had 8 screws drilled in it, 2 rods were inserted into my thumb to realign the bones at the joint. Although I've lost most the use of my right hand, I am currently instructing myself in left handed writing. By the time I have this cast removed, I will be bona fide ambidextrous. Hooray for learning new skills out of desperation!

0 comments:

Post a Comment